Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
搜尋

結果按:

Rechercher 進階搜尋

最新主題
合作伙伴
免費論壇

免费论坛

[轉貼] Understanding Jeremy Lin 哈佛校友暢談林書豪 - 2012/02/28

向下

[轉貼] Understanding Jeremy Lin 哈佛校友暢談林書豪  - 2012/02/28 Empty [轉貼] Understanding Jeremy Lin 哈佛校友暢談林書豪 - 2012/02/28

發表 由 shawjeng 周六 4月 14, 2012 12:38 am

Understanding Jeremy Lin: his Harvard buddies on his faith,friendships, and the occasional prank
哈佛校友暢談林書豪

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 By Annie Wang
原文鏈接:http://www.hercampus.com/life/understanding-jeremy-lin-his-harvard-buddies-his-faith-friendships-and-occasional-prank

I'm sitting in the middle of a long table, enjoying lunch with my small group after Sunday service. One of my friends asks sweetly, “Annie, did you know Jeremy Lin?” Suddenly, all other conversations cease and ten pairs of eyes fixate on me, waiting for my response. “Yeah, I knew him. We were both in HRAACF [the Harvard-Radcliffe Asian-American Christian Fellowship]. But I didn’t really know him – we’ve spoken maybe a couple times.”
我坐在一個長長的桌子中間,忙乎完週日的工作後和夥伴們正津津有味地吃著午餐。其中我的一位朋友甜甜滴問道,「安妮兒,你知道小林林麼?」話音剛落,飯桌上的談話全都停了下來,十雙眼睛全都曖昧地射向我,等著我的答覆。「是的,我知道他。我們都是哈佛美籍亞裔基督協會的成員。但其實那時候我們並不是很熟的——我們只是有過一些對話,僅此而已。」

It seems that Jeremy Lin is the unavoidable, ubiquitous conversation topic these days. I’ve watched with amusement over the last couple weeks as the most unlikely of fans have emerged from within my social circles. One of my good friends, literally the last person I expected to be starstruck with Linsanity, grabbed me by both shoulders and demanded quite seriously, “TELL ME EVERYTHING YOU KNOW ABOUT JEREMY LIN.” My parents emailed my brother and me a YouTube video of a Jeremy Lin interview, then later giggled on the phone as they confessed they’ve been diligently watching his highlight reels, and had I watched the YouTube they sent yet?! “He's amazing!” they chortled. My guy friends refer to Jeremy as “my boy,” while it seems every other girl is expressing her wish to date Jeremy. But I don’t need to tell you these stories; you and I are just as caught up in it all.
看起來,林書豪是這些日子以來人們茶餘飯後必不可少的談資了,關於他的話題可謂是無處不在。讓我覺得很有趣的是過去的幾個星期以來,我社交圈子裡面的某些我認為最不可能『哈林』的哥們竟拉著我的肩膀,一臉嚴肅的問我,「把你知道的關於林書豪的一切都要告訴我。」這還沒完呢,我爸爸媽媽給我和我哥\弟發了一段youtube上林書豪的採訪視頻,然後在電話裡傻笑著承認他們最近狂補林書豪的比賽集錦,還問我看沒看到發給我的那段視頻,「那小夥子太厲害啦!」爸媽開懷大笑道。瞧瞧我的那群朋友,男的都管林書豪叫『我的哥們』,女的均犯著花痴夢想有朝一日能和林書豪約會,我都不屑於說這些事情了,反正啊,我們算是趕上這股熱潮嘍。

But through my own willing participation in the Linsanity, I became aware of how shallow our fixation thus far has been. We – both the media and individuals – seem to endlessly reiterate the same few basic facts we know about Jeremy: He’s Christian! He’s Asian-American! He went to Harvard! ...and repeat, with some tantalizing embellishment or another thrown in with reference to Tim Tebow or Kim Kardashian, as the case may be.
但是隨著我越來越多的參與到林瘋狂之中,我逐漸意識到我們關注的都是些多麼膚淺的東西啊!我們——無論是媒體還是個人——都在不厭其煩地談論著那些關於林書豪的大家都早已爛熟於心的事實:他是虔誠的基督徒;他是個美籍亞裔小夥;他讀的哈佛...然後不知道哪些傢伙什麼時候又會拋出一篇關於林的文章,還是那些陳芝麻爛穀子,頂多稍微潤色修飾一番,或者再把tim tebow 和卡戴珊神馬的拋進來充充門面,事情就是如此。

And with each new piece of information we obsessively consume and share, fueled by the escalating effect of social media, we further underscore and idealize Jeremy as an Übermensch of inhuman faith, exceptional intelligence, and clutch athleticism, while his humanity slips farther and farther away from our minds.
然後隨著大眾媒體關於林的每一則新消息的添油加醋,我們狂熱地彼此分享著,一起激動著;我們進一步的將林神化了,好像他已經脫離了人類的信仰,乃是天降神人,有著無與倫比的心智一般,而小林子身上的種種人性的光輝反而被我們從心裡越來越遠地拋離開去了。

The truth is, Jeremy does represent movements much bigger than himself. He is at once the timely savior of a struggling franchise, a profitable posterboy for a rejuvenated league, a champion for the often-overlooked Asian-American population, and a provocative agent of change within a conflicted China. And, of course, he is making the biggest splash as outspoken flagbearer for the cause he has steadfastly and intentionally pursued – the advancement of the Christian faith. But though much of our initial interest in Jeremy stemmed from a basic shared commonality in one of these aspects of his identity, or his appeal as the protagonist of a Cinderella story to which we might aspire, we have since nearly forgotten that Jeremy is just a man after all.
事實真相是,林書豪的橫空出現,其意義遠遠超越了他本身。他適時地成為了一支苦苦掙紮著的球隊的救世主,一個重現生機的聯盟裡面有利可圖的封面男孩,成為了經常被忽略的美籍亞裔群體心目中的英雄以及由此帶來的大陸與台灣之間的關於林的『祖籍式爭奪』。當然,引起人們熱議最大的話題還是他一直以來堅定不移地對基督信仰的追求。儘管人們瘋狂追捧林書豪無外乎上面這幾條,要不就是大家對於灰姑娘故事的渴望,只怕我們幾乎已經忘記了一個事實:他畢竟只是一介凡人。

Even the hype surrounding Jeremy’s faith can undermine his desire to share, and for us to perceive, it in its true form: a developing journey marked with exhilarating highs, deep lows, and the most formidable doubts as recently as the very present.
即使對林書豪信仰的大肆宣傳會削弱他自己分享的慾望和我們對他的認知,但這其實並沒有講錯;當下真實的情況是:林正在經歷著一段旅程,途中有高峰和低谷以及隨之而來的種種質疑。

For those who have known Jeremy pre-Linsanity, this is a supremely exciting time with special sentimental meaning. It has also turned into a time of careful deliberation for us who bear the responsibility that comes with shared faith to compose responses with integrity to Jeremy’s own message to everything from the innocent questions of our friends to the aggressive demands of the media.
對於那些早在林瘋狂之前就認識林的人來說,林的故事有著特殊的情感上的意義,這令讓他們興奮不已。但與此同時,和林有著同樣信仰的我們如今必須保持冷靜,在面對無論是朋友提出的簡單問題還是那些媒體拋出的帶有侵略性的問題的時候均需如實地完整地傳遞林的信息,這是當下我們承擔的責任。

I happen to live in a house with the current staff of HRAACF, Victoria Lo (Harvard 2011 graduate) and Lue Qin (Harvard 2010 graduate), so I’ve observed first-hand how they’ve been handling all the requests from the press for some statement or another about Jeremy’s involvement with HRAACF. They held a long meeting to discuss how to respond out of a desire to respect and reflect Jeremy’s own response to media attention. Jeremy’s attitude has been one of admirable humility; he has become known for deflecting praise to his team and giving God the credit for his wins. So that has been Victoria's and Lue's focus and prayer as well: that in the midst of Linsanity, we would celebrate Jeremy, but ultimately follow his heavenward pointing example.
如今和我同住在一起的兩個舍友就是哈佛美籍亞裔基督協會的成員,他們分別是Victoria Lo(哈佛2011屆畢業生)和lue qin(哈佛2010屆畢業生);所以近水樓台先得月,當記者就林書豪採訪他們的時候我掌握了第一手訊息;他們為了應對媒體的採訪甚至提前開了個會商討該如何避免狂熱以客觀的給出對林書豪的評價。作為一個如此謙虛低調的人,我們都很欣賞林書豪;他從不貪功,把讚賞全都給了隊友,並感謝上帝賜予他勝利。林書豪的這些特質便成了Victoria Lo和Lue Qin回答媒體採訪時的核心依據,他們在禱告的時候也會說:林瘋狂來到了我們的身邊,我們也會一同慶祝,但最終我們要以林書豪為榜樣,虔誠地接收著來自上帝的指示。

The same concern has been shared by Cheng Ho (Harvard ‘10), Jeremy’s close friend, roommate, fellow student-athlete, small group member, and longtime superfan. When I pitched my article thesis to Cheng, he revealed that he’s been wading through an absolute flood of interview requests from both American and Chinese media (he’s currently in Beijing working to promote the National Football League). Cheng has been extremely selective in responding, however, because he worries whether the big picture of Jeremy’s story, in which the gospel is so central, will be genuinely and faithfully conveyed.
哈佛10年畢業的cheng ho也面臨著同樣的問題,他是林書豪的好友;兩人曾是室友、上過同一個校隊,待過同一個小組,作為林的超級球迷也有很長一段時間了。他跟我說,回答那些中美媒體記者提出的如潮水一般洶湧襲來的問題之時(他現在工作於北京,代表NFL來中國做宣傳)他在措辭上絞盡腦汁,十分謹慎。然而,提到林瘋狂,他的信仰(福音)不可迴避,他擔心媒體會不會忠誠地如實地向外界傳遞採訪中的內容。

But are we not already constantly made aware of Jeremy’s faith, inseparable from any mention of Jeremy himself? What more is there to convey with regards to this gospel? Haven’t we heard it all already, and then some?
但是話又說回來了,每次提到林就會涉及林的信仰,我們不都已經知道了麼?除了福音新約什麼的還有啥好傳遞的?

While talking to a good friend of Jeremy’s who wishes to remain anonymous, I heard her speak the answer: “So far, Jeremy has been portrayed as this very religious, humble, unselfish person – all of which is true. But I just hope that this doesn't make others see him as unreachable, as someone they can't relate to. I find it somewhat amusing when the media portrays him as this soft-spoken, mild-mannered guy, because around his family and friends, he is outgoing, incredibly funny and sarcastic, very playful and social. And he definitely has swag!”
我和林的一位匿名好友聊天的時候,我聽到她這般回答:」目前為止呢,林被描述成了一個宗教信仰很濃重的、謙卑的和無私的人——這些都對,但是我希望其他人不要以為林好像是高高在上遙不可及了。你知道每當媒體把林形容成那樣一個人的時候我都會覺得好笑,因為現實生活中的林外向、風趣、愛玩、好動且喜歡結交朋友;他有種辛辣的嘲諷感,絕對是一個很酷的人。「

We discussed the possibility that the frenzy around Jeremy and his faith might serve to actually undermine his goal to point to God, as people begin focusing on him, or more accurately, the holy caricature we have come to identify as him. Perhaps the most significant obstruction to Jeremy’s own passion movement is nothing less than Linsanity itself. What if we could shed some light on the man himself behind the larger-than-life Asian-American Christian Harvard graduate hero? Perhaps understanding his fundamental humanness might help us realize that he is just like any other guy, full of nuanced character, quirky passions, and an abundance of hilarious college memories. And perhaps we would come to see that everything Jeremy is, is nothing more and nothing less than the earnest product of striving to practice his faith step by step through every moment in life.
我們談論到對林書豪及其信念的狂熱實際上可能會影響並破壞到他的目標,那就是凡事都歸向上帝。當人們開始把焦點對準他,準確地說,當人們開始把他敬如神明一般誇張地神化著他的時候,也許林書豪最難以踰越的阻礙便是無論如何也逃不出這『林瘋狂』三字。如果我們換個角度,不去把他看成是一個超凡脫俗的大英雄,而是把他當成一個普通人去關注的話,也許我們就能夠瞭解到他其實和我們一樣,只是性格上有些許差別——古靈精怪,在大學的時候有很多搞笑的回憶;那時我們就能逐漸意識到林能夠擁有如今這一切只不過是他堅持自己的信仰踏踏實實一步一步奮鬥過來的。

The first thing Cheng said to me when I approached him about this article was, “For Jeremy, the most important thing for him is not to elevate himself, to gain fame or even wealth. The most important thing for him is to glorify God via basketball.” But the notion of playing a sport for God is still too abstract and meaningless without specific application. What concretely does it mean for Jeremy to play basketball to glorify God?
當我因為本文接觸Cheng時,他跟我說的一件事就是:「對林最重要的不是提高他自己以獲取名利甚至財富,最重要的是通過打籃球來榮耀上帝。」但為上帝打球這個概念太抽象,沒有特定的應用好像沒有意義。到底林書豪說的為榮耀上帝打籃球有一個怎樣的實際意義呢?

Cheng pointed to the recurring struggle Jeremy consistently brought up in their weekly small group meetings during their college years: feeling the temptation to play the game for his own pleasure and satisfaction. When the going was good and Harvard’s “Jeremy Lin Show” made college basketball headlines, Cheng said Jeremy confessed feeling urgently tempted to play exceptionally well and score a lot of points, and to perhaps not pass the ball to his teammates as much. He struggled with his self-awareness of the urge to compromise and “change his game to score more points” in order to impress NBA scouts. Jeremy also constantly checked his occasional feeling of superiority over his peers, and actively combated this tendency by trying to befriend those he didn’t know as well, inviting them to a conversation over a meal.
cheng談到和林書豪在大學時,每週的小組會上林總是不斷提到他內心的掙扎:他感受到了一種誘惑,他想只為自己的快樂和滿足去打籃球。當林在哈佛上演林氏籃球旋風,上了新聞頭條的時候,cheng說林跟他承認過他急於表現自己,想要得到更多的分數,可能都不想給隊友傳那麼多球了。一方面林也不喜歡那樣;另一方面,為了獲取NBA球探的親睞,他得轉變自己比賽的方式去砍下更高的分數。林不斷地檢視著自己偶爾有過高人一等的想法,」同時積極地和他這種傾向(不傳球或少傳球)作鬥爭:結交一些他不是很熟的人,通過邀請他們吃飯有更多交流。「

On the other hand, when faced with setbacks and disappointments, Jeremy’s faith underwent severe tests that led him to question God’s purpose for everything he was going through. “We all envision a life path that we think is good for us, but sometimes things don’t work out. For Jeremy, this didn’t happen one, two, three times. It happened over and over, many countless times. To the point where he thought about giving up basketball, and became really skeptical about whether God had a different plan for him altogether.” Cheng observed that Jeremy’s approach was “to completely surrender himself to God. He learned not to care.”
另一方面,當遇到困難挫折的時候,林的信仰就會經歷嚴峻考驗,他會質疑上帝讓他所經歷的一切。「我們都希望自己的生活能夠一直快樂幸福,但有的時候就是事與願違。對於林來說,他碰到的坎坷不是一次兩次了,他遇到過太多的困難了,根本數不勝數。林曾經想過放棄籃球,林曾經懷疑過也許上帝另有打算。」cheng觀察說林面對這些困難的方式就是「完全向上帝順服,學習如何不再顧慮重重。」

I was intrigued by what sounded like quite a loose, indifferent handling of one’s own career. Cheng was quick to clarify the full meaning of Jeremy’s attitude, relating it to his now triumphant present, “The temptation to keep his job is now stronger than ever.” Temptation to keep his job? This is the staggering irony before us: a man who has broken the NBA record for total points in first five career starts views the game of basketball as simply what God has given him to work with for the present, and nothing more. Step by step.
聽起來,這種對於個人職業生涯的態度是及其放任的,我覺得很好奇。但cheng結合自己在事業上的成功很快便澄清了林書豪的那種態度的全部意義,「林現在有著比以往任何時候都強的保住自己飯碗的願望。」這話聽起來真扯淡:小林子先發登場的前5場比賽得到的總分數創歷史記錄,這樣一個猛人你竟然說打籃球只是上帝暫時交給他的生計?然後就沒了?反正就是先這麼走著唄....

Jeremy’s way of integrating his faith and athletic pursuits began in his early years at Harvard, and he used his past personal experiences to encourage others as well. Cheng, who by his sophomore year was a starter on the Harvard football team, recalled a defining moment in his friendship with Jeremy when Cheng lost his starting spot on the team, even after performing well the previous Ivy championship season. Bitterly angry, Cheng went through a psychological crucible that took a toll on his sleep, his mood, and his relationships. He didn’t know how to handle being relegated to a backup position for the first time in his life. One afternoon, as Cheng was leaving for a game, Jeremy popped his head out and said, “I sent you something in an email. When you have a chance, take a look at it.” Later at the field house, Cheng found a long email from Jeremy, full of Bible verses related to sports, as well as reflections on his own past experiences. “He was trying to encourage me and also show me the right perspective for how to face the circumstances in a godly manner. These verses had helped him before, and they would help me now.” Cheng was touched, and recognized in Jeremy a true friend who provided support as well as gentle exhortation. “I recently sent the email back to him because he was going through a similar situation in the NBA.”
在哈佛早期,林就把他的信仰和自己的體育訴求相結合,然後用自己的經驗去鼓勵他人。大學2年級的時候,cheng曾是哈佛足球隊的先發球員,但後來失去了首發位置,為此他苦惱不已,他的負面情緒隨處可見,睡不好、吃不香,看啥啥不順眼,然後有一天林拍了拍他的頭,跟他說給他發了一封郵件讓他有空看看。他讀了郵件,是聖經裡面的某些章節,他受到了鼓舞,從此昂起頭重新做人,為此他和書豪成了鐵哥們,直到現在那些經文都在影響著他的人生。「我最近又把這封郵件原封不動發給林了,因為林現在在NBA的處境和我當年的很相似。」

Though he and Jeremy had initially met in their freshman year, each identifying the other as “that other Asian guy playing sports at Harvard,” Cheng found that his friendship with Jeremy developed and solidified in the context of their HRAACF small group, in which discussions about faith and the consumption of food both figured prominently. “Jeremy consistently invited me and other athletes to join his small group. At first, I was not really interested at all in matters of faith. Then he said, ‘I’ll bring food.’ And I said, ‘Cool, I’m in.’”
儘管他和林大一那陣就認識了,但也僅限於「哦,我知道那傢伙是個踢足球的\打籃球的,我們都是黃皮膚黑頭髮,」cheng發現他和林的友誼是在基督協會中發展牢固起來的,「林那個時候總是想拉我和其他運動員加入他的小組,一起吃吃飯,談談信仰什麼的;剛開始我不願意去,但他說他會帶吃的去,然後我就同意加入了。」

Danny Kim, a 2010 Harvard graduate and also then a member of Jeremy’s small group, remembers how Jeremy on occasion made their meetings a time of (literally) fun and games. He once organized a night of silly games, one involving “pantyhose and tennis balls,” another “blindfolds and throwing rolled-up socks at each other,” and, of course, an eating competition.
danny kim(2010屆哈佛畢業生),大學時候也是林信仰小組成員,現在還記得林那個時候時不時地會把小組討論變成休閒娛樂會議。他說林有一次組織大夥玩了一晚上遊戲,其中一個遊戲涉及到「長筒褲和檯球」, 另一個包含「蒙眼睛和朝對方扔捲起來的襪子」,當然,肯定少不了吃東西大賽。

Cheng assured me, “People think Jeremy’s a really serious individual, but he’s actually really chill and actually really, really immature! The things that he would say and do would sometimes make me say, ‘Wow. Who are you?!’ When you’re with him, all hell breaks loose. He’s a goofball, has a great sense of humor, and doesn’t take things seriously. For example, he loves playing DotA and Halo (popular video games) in his free time, often with his brothers. Anytime I saw him playing, I would just walk out immediately. He’d shout, ‘Hey! No, I’ll be done soon!’ I’d wait thirty minutes and he’d still be playing. He’s just a normal person who likes to have fun.”
cheng用肯定的語氣跟我說,「人們都被林那嚴肅認真的外表給騙啦,那小子是冷幽默大師,一點都沒那麼成熟!他有時候說那話做那事會讓我禁不住說『我勒個去,你到底從哪個星球來的?』你跟他待在一起的時候,你會覺得渾身很輕鬆,他這人老搞笑了,很多事不會太當真。比如說吧,他業餘時間愛玩DOTA和HALO,主要是和他哥玩。每次我看到他在玩,我抬腳就要走,然後就聽他在那邊喊『喂,別啊,等會啊,我一會就搞定啦!』然後我就又等了30分鐘,他還在那玩...他就一正常人,愛鬧愛玩的。」

In the off-season, Jeremy often invited his friends to play a game of pick-up basketball with his teammates. Andy Choi, Jeremy’s classmate and fellow HRAACF member, recalled the thrill of those moments, “Whenever I got the text or call, I would drop whatever I was doing and sprint like crazy over to Lavietes [the basketball arena]. As I got close to the gym, I would slow down and try to control my breathing so I wouldn’t look like an eager little boy excited to play with the big kids. But once I entered the gym, I never felt like I didn’t belong or wasn’t good enough to play with the rest of them. Jeremy would always include me, and actually pass me the ball even though I was clearly the worst player on the floor.”
賽季結束的時候,林經常會找他的夥伴一起重溫過去打籃球的時光。林的同窗校友同時也是基督協會一員的andy choi回想起那些激動人心的時刻,「我跟你說啊,無論啥時我接到林的電話或者短信讓我去玩球,我都會立馬放下手裡的工作然後飛也似的衝向他們所在的體育館,快跑到那得時候我會故意停下來喘口氣歇會,我可不想看起來像個急於吃糖的小孩子一樣。但是我一踏入體育館,我根本不會覺得自己不屬於那或者覺得和其他人比起來自己打得如何不好,林總是會把我融入進去,給我傳球,儘管我投籃很爛。」

Even in these casual games, Jeremy’s competitive spirit was an ever-present force. “It was good to be on his team because he hated losing. In those pick-up games, I don’t think he ever lost. If his team were losing, he would take over the game and score the last however many points needed to win.”
儘管只是隨便玩玩,但是林的好勝心一直都在。「和他一個隊太好了,他討厭輸球。我不記得他有輸過球,當他的隊伍比分落後的時候,他會接管比賽然後逆轉取勝——無論需要他得多少分。」

Danny remembers one such game his freshman year when he got a little playful with Jeremy: “I was guarding Jeremy on a one-on-one fastbreak and I was talking a little smack to get him riled up. "C'mon, J Lin, what you got?" He pulled up behind the 3-point arc and drilled the shot. I spoke no more.”
danny談到他們在大一時候的一次比賽,當時林在下快攻的時候是danny一對一防守的,然後danny故意說話刺激林「來啊,小夥,有啥本領使出來哉~」,林默然地退到3分線外,投中了一記3分,「那之後我啥也不說了。」

Danny, Andy, and Jeremy bonded, too, over what became a weekly tradition of eating together at Le’s, a popular Vietnamese restaurant in Harvard Square. Danny and Andy independently mentioned to me one particularly memorable Sunday night their sophomore year. As they were enjoying bowls of pho, they discovered that they were all “down to get an ear piercing.” So they spontaneously headed to a piercing salon upstairs from Le’s. Jeremy, petrified of needles, was afraid to go into the piercing room alone, so Danny had to go in with him and provide moral support. Alas, all three of them picked out such a small stud that “it ended up looking feminine” instead of what they imagined would be a really cool look. Then again, Jeremy’s relationship with his piercing proved to be short-lived anyway. “He was afraid of his mom finding out about the piercing because he knew she would kill him. He was right. When he came back the next fall, he was no longer wearing an earring and his piercing had closed.”
danny,andy和林大二的時候每週都會去哈佛廣場一家很受歡迎的越南餐館吃碗河粉,danny和andy兩人都有和我提到同樣一件趣事:話說一次3人正吃著,突然發現他們一會都要去穿耳洞;吃完了他們就直奔目的地,到了以後,林一看到針頭就石化,不敢獨自一人扎耳眼,所以danny就去陪他,給他精神上的鼓勵。完事以後大夥發現看起來一點都沒想像中的拉風,有些偽娘...;可想而知,林的耳洞生涯及其短暫。「他怕那事被他老媽發現,他說他老媽會宰了他的。他說的一點沒錯,等下個秋天他回來的時候,他的耳洞不見了,給堵上了。」

So “it’s basketball and Christianity and food,” Cheng asserted, that were important in Jeremy’s life. “That’s about it; there’s not too much about it other than that.” And what about academics? Cheng laughed, “A lot of times he didn’t really like studying.”
恩,「籃球、基督教和食物,」cheng說道,林生活三部曲啊。「就是那樣,沒啥別的了。」我又問cheng,那學習呢?cheng仰天大笑,「好多時候他討厭學習呢。」

Perhaps Jeremy remembered one thing from his economics class with Andy. “He once took a picture of me sleeping in class, and he would always make fun of me for it. The funny thing was, when midterm season came around, he would ask me for notes. I clearly didn’t take notes.”
也許林書豪和andy一起上經濟學課程的時候記住了一件事。「他有一次上課偷拍我睡覺時的樣子,老拿這事開刷,搞笑的是,學期中段的時候,他還管我借筆記,我都上課睡覺還哪有什麼筆記啊...」

“In the classroom, he never raised his hand to ask a question. Ever! If a TF [teaching fellow] called on him, he would pretend he was sick or go to the bathroom to avoid talking.” Cheng attributed this to Jeremy’s aversion to public speaking throughout college. “He doesn’t enjoy the spotlight, and feels uncomfortable talking about himself. During his college years, he refused to be in a lot of interviews. Now, though, he’s in a different situation. He needs to be able to suck it up and embrace public attention.”
「課堂上,他從來不舉手提問,一次都沒有!如果哪位老師提問到他,他會立馬呈現噁心狀或者假裝要去廁所來避開回答。」cheng說林大學期間一向討厭在公開場合發表演說,「他不喜歡聚光燈照著他,在那樣的場合談論自己會讓他不舒服,大學期間他避開了很多媒體採訪;現在不一樣了,他需要適應這些東西,接受公眾對他的關注。」

It’s clear that the process of opening up and being himself in public has already begun for Jeremy, at least during games. Cheng made frequent references to Jeremy’s utterly new persona on the court, in which he’s playing with a tremendous amount of confidence and passionate, crowd-pleasing charisma never seen before by his friends and former teammates. “At Harvard, Jeremy never displayed emotion when he played. Now we see a much more vocal high energy player fist-pumping, chest high-fiving, and screaming.”
很顯然,林開始在公開場合敞開心胸,做他自己,至少在比賽中是這樣的。cheng不斷提到林在賽場上的嶄新形象,他在場上展現出無比的自信與激情,和觀眾形成良好互動,這在大學的時候是看不到的。「哈佛讀書的時候,林打球低調,從不霸氣外漏。現在我們看到他越來越多的在賽場上擊拳、撞胸和吶喊。」

In the past few weeks, Jeremy has risen out of obscurity and made a name for himself with unbelievable speed (I’m reminded of this tweet Jeremy sent a mere month before Linsanity began: “Everytime I try to get into Madison Square Garden, the security guards ask me if I’m a trainer LOL”). It’s true on the court, too, as Jeremy has earned the respect of his teammates and is now seen telling the Knicks’ star players where to stand and what to do. When I ask Cheng if Jeremy’s leadership abilities were already clearly evident during his Harvard years, he briefly cites Jeremy’s election as captain of the men’s basketball team, and then launches, laughing, into a more personal illustrative anecdote:
在過去的幾週裡,林火箭般地從默默無聞到聲名鵲起(我記得林風暴之前一個月林的一個推特上說,每次他進入到麥迪遜花園球場,保安總是會問他是不是球隊的訓練師,笑死了)。呈現在賽場上的林也是一樣,他已經贏得了隊友的信任,並在場上指點江山。當我問cheng林的領袖氣質是不是在哈佛時就有了,他簡要的提到了林當時競選籃球隊長時候的一段話,然後提到了下面的軼事:

“It was winter, and there was snow on the ground as we walked back to our dorm. Naturally, I made a snowball and threw it at Jeremy. It missed his face poorly. He turned around and said, “Cheng?” with an evil look. Laughing, I took up an even bigger one and threw it at him, and again missed. Finally, I nailed him just as we got to our dorm. He was like, “Alright, I’m going to get you back.” Later that night, after we ate dinner with our whole eight-person rooming group, he made sure I was the last one to leave the dining hall. As we walked back to our dorm, Jeremy signaled with his hand and suddenly a huge torrent of snowballs started flying at me, from everyone else in our group. I was very upset and started going crazy chasing people around, thinking, I only threw one, and now you pull a full-out snowball revenge on me, rallying the entire group! Jeremy noticed I was really angry and apologized, ‘Sorry man, it was just a joke.’ I didn’t talk to him for two months – no exaggeration. Every time our group ate together, I intentionally ate at another table. This story shows my immaturity, but also Jeremy’s leadership ability – his ability to get people to do things, to rally the group. People just naturally listen to him.”
那會是冬天,回宿舍的路上還有沒化開的積雪。自然地,我捲了個雪團扔向林書豪,可惜歪大了沒打著他臉。就見林回過頭來,一臉邪惡的瞪著我說「臭小子!」我笑了,然後捲起一個更大團的再扔,還是沒打著。最後,當我們快走到宿舍門口的時候我總算是擊中他了,然後他就像這樣,「我受夠你小子了,看我怎麼收拾你。」那天晚些時候,我們全部8人小組都吃完飯了,他確保我是最後一個離開食堂的。回去的路上,只見林一個手勢,漫天雪球朝我砸來,我很不悅,胡亂地瘋狂地追著他們跑,同時我在想:這傢伙,惹不起啊,一個雪團撇過去,千萬個雪團還回來啊有木有!後來林發現我怒了,跟我說,『對不起啦,人家只是開個玩笑。』我兩個月沒理他,一點沒誇張啊。那之後吃飯我都自己一個人吃,不和他們湊一塊,那事說明我很不成熟,但同時也側面反映出林的領導才能——林有鼓動人的能力,讓你做啥你就乖乖做啥。

Now, Jeremy is in the ultimate position of influence, not only in games played out on a polished wooden surface, but in as intimate a setting as the very hearts and beliefs of his fans, and as broadly as in the imaginations and aspirations of whole populations around the world. Cheng has observed firsthand the effect Jeremy is having as he himself embodies an entirely counter-cultural worldview to his Chinese fanbase. “In China, for example, Christianity is a very sensitive topic. But when Jeremy talks about God and Christianity, people here are more respective and willing to listen. He’s in a position to share his story, create a positive influence, and make an impact.”
「林書豪現在的地位有著最大的影響力,不僅在他打球的球場裡那拋光的木質地板上,也存在於其粉絲心中對他的親密感和信賴,也廣泛存在於世界各地人民的想像與期望中。」當林對他的中國粉絲群表達其完全不同於傳統中國文化的世界觀時,Cheng直接觀察到了林書豪帶來的影響力。「在中國,基督教義是很敏感的話題,但是當林書豪談到上帝和基督教義的時候,這兒的人們都很尊敬林的想法也願意傾聽他說的。他現在處於的位置就是分享自己的故事,創造積極的影響力,努力造成影響。」

It’s up to all of us to fully appreciate his story as the dynamic testimony of a man whose faith struggles and unique experiences have shaped him thus far, who has been given a remarkable opportunity to do great things in the present, and whose future steps are still paved by faith.Let us recognize that his story and his faith are accessible to us; that he is relatable to us, and in some ways, just like us. I asked Cheng how he eventually reconciled with Jeremy after the snowball incident. “I don’t really remember, but I think he must have needed help on a problem set or something.”
讓我們全面地充分地理解並欣賞林書豪其人其事——他的那些信仰中的掙扎、獨特的人生閱歷;他現在擁有一個影響他人的機會,他未來的道路仍是由信仰鋪成的。我們應該認識到:他的信仰不是遙不可及的,他本人也不是高高在上的;某種程度上,他和我們一樣。我問道cheng後來雪團那事化解沒有,他說:「不記得了,但我想他肯定有許多問題求助過別人。」

I asked several more of my mutual friends with Jeremy to recall some of their favorite memories with him, how they were personally celebrating Linsanity, and what impact his story has had on their lives. Here are their responses:
我問了其他一些林書豪的朋友,讓他們談談對林的看法什麼的,下面就是他們的回應:

"I knew Jeremy would be a special player when the first time we played pickup he dunked on me the first play. I fell on my back and he was kind enough to help me up. It was embarrassing then but I feel better to know that I was dunked on by an NBA star." - Eric Lu, friend, Harvard ‘09
「當我們一起打野球那陣,他在我頭上扣了一個籃,那時候我就知道他很特別。我被他扣翻了,然後他友好的扶起我。那時候我覺得很尷尬,但是現在看來,被一個NBA超級明星給顏扣了,我覺得人生足矣!」-Eric lu(哈佛09畢業生)

“For me, the thing I remember most about Jeremy is the down-to-earth, relaxed nature that he always exuded. Whether it was running into him on University Avenue in Palo Alto during summer vacation, conversing with him at bible study, or playing a pickup game with him in the offseason, there was never the awkward distance that one may feel to a star college basketball player. And in recent days, it has not mattered whether it has been a college friend or Yao Ming congratulating him for his successes—he has embraced everyone in a display of humility and generosity that has colored his rise to prominence.” - June-Ho Kim, friend and small group member, Harvard ‘09 (reposted from June-Ho's personal blog)
「林最讓我印象深刻的是他流露出的那種務實的、無拘束的特質。無論是在暑假期間的palo alto大學街道上碰到他,還是在在學習聖經的時候和他聊天,或是賽季結束後和他一起打打野球,我們之間從來都沒有那種明星和普通人的距離感,很是自然隨和。最近這些天,無論是姚明還是其他什麼人恭喜他成功,他都顯得彬彬有禮,謙遜大方;他成名以來一直都這樣。」——june-ko kim 朋友,小組成員,哈佛09畢業生(其個人博客有登載過)

“My favorite Jeremy memory was after one of my a cappella group’s concerts that he wasn’t able to attend, he asked me if I had any recordings from the concert, specifically of any songs his then girlfriend might have been singing. I sent him a link to the video of the concert and thought that was the end of that. She then told me the next day she had walked into Jeremy's room earlier and found him embarrassingly listening to her song on full blast even with his roommates around.” - Joony Moon, friend, Harvard ‘10
「關於林書豪我記憶最深的是有一次他沒能參加我的cappella group(唱的歌曲跟福音有關)演唱會,然後他讓我給他帶演唱會的錄音帶,尤其是那些後來成為他女朋友的姑娘可能唱過的。我給了他一個演唱會視頻鏈接,然後以為事情就過去了。第二天,他的女朋友跟我說,當她走進林的宿舍時,發現林在裡面正聽著那些音樂,而且音量調到最大,完全無視周圍的舍友。」——joony moon,林的密友,10屆哈佛畢業生。

“For the average person at Harvard, Jeremy Lin was a passing interest. Basketball just wasn't that big on campus, but for those of us already obsessed with Crimson sports, it was a feeding frenzy. We postered our office with his face, called him every chance we got, and even sent reporters to his Bible study. Unfortunately, we didn't think to coin the term ‘Linsanity,’ but we were the hoops star's first groupies!” - Max Brondfield, The Crimson Sports Editor, Harvard ‘11
「對於大多普通的哈佛學子而言,林沒啥了不得的。籃球在學校並不是很受歡迎,但是對於我們這些在Grimson sports上班的人來說,林就是神一般的存在,我們為之痴狂,我們辦公室裡面貼著他的海報,一有機會就給他打電話,甚至派記者去林學習聖經的地方。不幸的是,linsanity這個詞不是我們創造出來的,不過我們絕對是他的第一批死忠球迷!」——max ,crimson sports 編輯人,哈佛11屆畢業生。

“I am overwhelmed by God's faithfulness and provision in his life and I'm incredibly hopeful for the ways that He has and will continue to use Jeremy for touching people's lives. I feel that Jeremy is a faithful witness and as he lets his own light shine, he gives the rest of his brothers and sisters in Christ the courage to do the same. For instance, for me, Linsanity is a great segue to sharing the good news, because when he comes up in conversation, I can talk about how I knew him in the context of Christian fellowship and our mutual goal of trying to live out the radical life of love, justice, and sacrifice modeled by Jesus.” – Danny Kim, friend and small group member, Harvard ‘10
「感謝上帝於生活中對林的支持和恩賜,對於林已經且將會一直以傑裡米的名義觸動他人的生活這方面來說我是抱有極大希望的;我覺得林是一個忠實的見證者,當他向外界傳遞著自己的光芒時,也給了我們這些懷有同樣信仰的人以勇氣去做同樣的事情。比如,對我而言,林瘋狂之後,我可以借林和我之間的教友關係以及林與我之間共有的人生理念——生活中要向耶穌一樣富有愛心、正義感和犧牲精神,這樣同他人交流的時候,我就可以繼續傳達著那些美好的訊息。」——Danny Kim, 朋友 ,小組成員, 哈佛10屆畢業生

“Jeremy's faith penetrates every aspect of his life both on and off the court. I personally have been struck by how earnestly Jeremy strives to be a spiritual leader, not only within his spiritual circle, but also within his nonreligious social circles and even in romantic relationships. Conversations with him about relationships revealed how intentional and committed he is to being a spiritual leader who keeps God at the center of any relationship.” – Elizabeth Shen, friend, Harvard ‘10
「林書豪的信仰貫穿於場上場下他生活的方方面面。我個人被他是如何努力做一個屬靈領袖所付出的勤奮給打動了。不僅在他的屬靈團體中,也在日常社交生活圈中,甚至在他的戀愛中。跟他討論人際關係時,可顯示出他是多麼有意識並堅定地去成長為一位屬靈領袖,並盡力把上帝放在一切人際關係的核心。」-elizabeth shen,朋友,哈佛10界畢業生

“I remember when I was watching the Dallas Mavericks game, I was so excited to the point I had to tell myself to calm down. It was too much for me to handle. I forced myself to not look at Facebook. I did not talk to anyone. I just tried to act as calm and normal as possible. I wished I was there with him. I would have shaken him and told him how happy I was. For me, that game was broadcasting at 2 am in China. I never thought I would ever in my life watch a basketball game at that hour. But I was literally enjoying every second and every moment.” – Cheng Ho, friend, roommate, small group member, Harvard ‘10
「我記得當我看小牛比賽的時候,我太激動了,我甚至得試圖告訴自己保持冷靜。我簡直就是難以自持,我強迫自己不去看facebook。我不跟任何人說話,我就是儘量讓自己看起來很冷靜和平常。我希望那個時候我和林在一起,那我會激動地搖晃著他並告訴他我有多快樂。對我而言,比賽直播時間是中國半夜兩點的時候。我從來沒想像過自己有生之年會在那個點看球。但是看的時候我無時無刻不在享受比賽。(這哥們看的是哪場比賽我沒弄明白)」——cheng ho, 朋友兼室友,小組成員,哈佛10屆畢業生

“Honestly, there are times I am envious that he is living my childhood dream of playing in the NBA, but then I realize I am more jealous that he is bringing God to the world, while I have a hard time bringing God up with a friend. But that’s a good jealousy because it inspires me to strengthen my own faith in God and be bold in my beliefs.” – Andy Choi, friend, Harvard ‘10
「誠實的說,很多時候我都在想林書豪現在的生活就是我兒時的夢想,但讓我更加嫉妒的是他得以把上帝的美德傳遍這個世界,而我卻很難把上帝(的福音)傳給一位朋友。但是這種嫉妒是良性的,因為這會給我帶來激勵,讓我在上帝面前鞏固自己的信心並堅守自己的信仰。」——andy choi, 朋友, 哈佛10界畢業生

“If you didn't know Jeremy was a superstar before you met him, you still wouldn't know afterwards. He has a humble disposition and is completely approachable and friendly. His faith in Christ flows completely out of his person; he knows that apart from God, he is nothing, and so his very identity depends on the love that Jesus has shown for him. He is ambitious, but quietly so--he will never go through anyone or walk over anyone to get to where he wants to be, and he is an example of what it looks like to be content in everything. Even though he was at Harvard (not a basketball school by any stretch of the imagination), he learned to be content there and used his leadership and skills to build up the team. While he hoped and worked towards playing in the NBA, he would have been happy to play in a second tier league because he had prayed about it and felt God's calling to professional basketball. Of course, it would never be easy to be less than the best--and it wasn't easy to play at Harvard either--but Jeremy has a rootedness and spiritual foundation that can carry him through those hard times.” – Adrian Tam, Jeremy’s spiritual adviser, Harvard ‘06
「如果你在碰到林之前不知道林是一個超級明星,你以後還是不會發現這一點的。」他有著謙遜的性格,平易近人,十分友善。他的言談舉止無不透露出他對基督的信仰;他知道沒了上帝的幫助,他什麼都不是;因而上帝給了他多少愛將決定他是怎樣一個人。他是有抱負的,但同時他的內心又是如此平靜——他不會為了達到目的不擇手段,他是一個心胸寬廣、包容一切的傢伙。儘管他讀得是哈佛(從來都不是啥籃球名校),但是他在那裡學會了海納百川,學會了用自己的領袖才能與球技逐步打造出一支優秀的球隊。當他對進入nba滿懷憧憬之時,如果最終事與願違,我想即使在其他級別的籃球聯盟中打球,林也不會沮喪的;他會很高興,因為他覺得上帝希望他成為一名職業籃球隊員。當然,這不會很容易,想當初林在哈佛打球也不容易,但是林強大的信仰與心智使得他歷經坎坷而依然堅挺如故。」——adrian tam,林的心靈導師,哈佛06屆畢業生

“It seems like Jeremy has just been gracing the cover of one magazine to the next, but he wasn’t always the glamorous star that the media has depicted him. If I had to describe Jeremy and how he felt at the end of his senior year, it’d probably be “uncertain.” He was unsure if the draft would work out, and if not, then what—Europe? But through all this, he always kept faith in God—knowing that something was going to work. Now, I’m celebrating by telling people that besides his basketball skills, what a great guy he is. I personally feel proud and happy for him, because it just goes to show that good things do happen to good people, even if it might take a while and take you on a rollercoaster ride in the process. So that’s exactly what I tell people—that Jeremy really deserves it.” – Bing Han, Jeremy’s small group co-leader, Harvard ‘11
「看起來林書豪令一個又一個雜誌熠熠生輝了,但是他並不總是像媒體所渲染的那樣是個萬人迷。如果你讓我展望林書豪在大學畢業那會的前景,那麼關鍵詞可能是『不確定』。他自己都不確信選秀大會是否會選中他,如果選不中,那他又會到哪裡打球呢——歐洲?但是無論經歷怎樣的磨難,他始終堅信上帝——他確信功夫不負有心人。現在,我很會高興地告訴別人說林書豪不僅球技棒,人品也是一流的。我個人為他感到驕傲和由衷的喜悅。儘管個中的酸甜苦辣我們不得而知,但是終究好的事情的確發生在好的人身上了。所以,那就是我告訴別人的——林書豪值得擁有這一切。」——bing han ,林小組中和林一樣是個leader,哈佛11屆畢業生

shawjeng
護法長老

文章數 : 194
積分 : 515
威望 : 1
注冊日期 : 2010-02-27

回頂端 向下

回頂端

這個論壇的權限:
無法 在這個版面回復文章